Friday, March 10, 2006

About Jesus - from calebrikkilambert.tripod.com

Jesus is the Greek version of Joshua's name in Ancient Hebrew. It means "Jeho" or, roughly, "Jo" = God, and "shua" = saves. "God saves".
The historical person of Jesus means a lot to us because he is more than just someone from the history books. His story has changed the lives of more people in history than any other. And is still doing so. And, believe it or not, he is still alive today. This is what sets him aside from all other people in history. One of his "apostles", John, said "For God so loved the world that he gave his one and only Son, that whoever believes in him shall not perish, but have eternal life" (John 3:16).
Kristin and I are not dimwits. We are both university educated and, believe me, have thought long and hard about this person Jesus. We have also grown up largely going to church and finding out who Jesus is. This is not a prerequisite to knowing and believing in Jesus.
Kristin and I are not manipulators either. We see ourselves as honest, hard-working people trying to get by like anyone else. We want to tell others about Jesus simply because, as we learn more about him, we discover that Jesus wants us, in the words of another disciple, Mark, to "go into all the world and preach the good news to all creation" (Mark 16:15). In other words, ... tell the good news to everyone...!
So, what is the good news? This Jesus died - unfairly - and was laid to rest in Jerusalem. Three days later - on what many people throughout the world celebrate as Easter Sunday - his tomb was found empty. He was alive again. Nobody in history has ever previously, or since, performed this feat. How did Jesus do it? He was the son of God. Too many people saw this feat, and died refusing to deny it, for it to be false.
So if Jesus is alive, what does this mean? Well now I fear I am stretching - if I have not already - beyond my qualifications to preach and teach about God. The Bible will tell you what it means. But let me have a go, in case you are dying to know the answer. Of course, check with a Bible before accepting this. I say, if Jesus is alive, then we have incredible hope because we know he has beaten death. If he can beat death, so can we! Why? Because this is what he promises us. Mark 16:15 continues: "... whoever believes and is baptised will be saved, but whoever does not believe will be condemned".
"Saved" "Condemned" What does all that mean? Well, I'll simplify - again, this is my layman's interpretation. Saved = with God in afterlife, condemned = not with God in afterlife. Now don't believe a word of what you hear or see on TV or movies. The devil - who is real also, and is not "with God" in the afterlife - is not a nice person. He wants to trick you into believing he'll be nice to you, so that you're all his in the afterlife. You don't want to be all his in the afterlife. You want to be with God. Believe me, this is the truth. All those visions you have of heaven are true - if you are there. Parties, streets of gold, reunion with lost ones etc. I believe all of this is part of what heaven is. Hell it most certainly is not.
Again, I urge you, look at your Bible before it is too late. I don't want to carry on preaching myself hoarse at this time and place. The decision is yours and yours alone, but when I am in Heaven I sure want you - my friend - to be there too!

Now here is a question you may be asking yourself. Why on earth am I talking about this on a website about my son Caleb and his trouble with hydrocephalus, his brain damage etc? Firstly, let me say I'd rather you ask me that yourself. But, again for the sake of not letting you wait in anguish for the answer, here is part of it: Caleb would not be alive today if it were not for Jesus. Even writing that down right now I struggle to believe it, but I know it is true. His birth and life is miraculous. Even if it ends suddenly, even if his life is full of torment, I know his birth is a miracle. For that, I must thank God. I want to give God the credit for what has happened. This seems the right way to do that.
In closing, I do not want you to forget the main point of what is written here. There are plenty of resources if you want to look into it, but the Bible is the best resource. You can read it in the privacy of your own home, or even on the internet at eg www.biblegateway.com. Perhaps look up some of the verses I have mentioned here at that website. There are also plenty of well meaning people in the church - it doesnt matter what church - who will tell you about Jesus. A quick note about churches too - we are Lutherans simply because (a) we've got to slot in somewhere; and (b) its our personal heritage and style, it may not be yours. And another note - churches aren't after your money. Ask whoever you talk to up front if they are, and decide based on their response.
Herein lies a message I have wanted to share with my relatives and friends, and Kristin the same, for many years. Please do not forget it. If you want to help us through this difficult time, you can do two things.
1. If you do not know God, through this person Jesus, please look into it. It will give us great joy to know that you are looking into it, more joy than any present, flowers or money can give. This is the honest truth.
2. If you do believe there is a God - and even, notwithstanding that you do not believe in Jesus - please pray for us, and particularly for Caleb. Only in heaven will any of us see the importance of praying for a cause. This too, we firmly believe, is the best help you can give us.
May God bless you and keep you, make His face to shine upon you and be gracious to you. May God look upon you with favour, and give you peace. Amen.

No comments: