Joshua and I attended the Anzac Day parade marching from the War Memorial on North Terrace in the city of Adelaide, down to the Cross of Sacrifice near St Peters Cathedral in North Adelaide.
We sat on the kerb near this statue of King George V.
This crane was set up overlooking the Cross of Sacrifice garden with the ABC camera-man on top.
The parade began with the police horses and an array of signs and symbols.
Here are some Navy soldiers marching - the soldiers marched in the order of Navy, then Army, and lastly Air Force.
There were several bands from cities like Glenelg, Marion or Unley and also a few Caledonian bands playing their bagpipes.
When they say "Age shall not weary them" I don't think they necessarily mean men who live in this life forever, but rather the young ones who were lost - they are "undying" in our memories for their sacrifice.
I have many other photographs, but that will do for now.
Well, what can I say after seeing the parade? Certainly it is worth this generation seeing the sheer number of soldiers who were involved in wars past, and also to give our appreciation for their sacrifice. Jesus said "greater love has no man than this: to give up his life for his friends". We enjoyed seeing some of the old military hardware on display, it would have been great to see a few more fly-overs and some heavier equipment but perhaps that is all too hard these days.
Lest we forget.
No comments:
Post a Comment