I could predict we would struggle against Sydney FC from the outset, for two simple reasons.
One: No "Rech Qu"
Without our two standout forwards, we were going to lack the creativity to score goals
Two: Ageing defence
Benito Carbone might not be young, but he is good and quick. Valkanis, Cornthwaite and Costanzo are big tough boys - but not fast.
And I was proven right on both fronts watching the game on Monday afternoon. We lacked ideas up forward (remarkably similar to the way the across-the-board lack-of-ideas when the Crows capitulated in the preliminary final a week before) and seemed to need two or three touches before feeling confident enough to take a shot. Or trying to run the ball over the goal-line as if we were playing rugby.
I was disappointed with both Travis Dodd and Bobby Petta. Dodd had a shocker. He lacked ideas, desire to run like other games and then a dopey own goal when I reckon the excellent Robbie Bajic had it covered. He should have got a shower earlier than he did in exchange for Spagnuolo. Petta surprised me for a played supposedly of his quality and goal-scoring ability. He seemed to want to be the link man rather than a shooter - a role I thought he would naturally elevate to in the absence of his fellow foreign legionnaires. So much for that. We lacked a lot of pace at all parts of the park. Dodd, to my mind, is our only electrifying fast player, and he didnt seem to want to run.
The Central Coast Mariners game will be ugly too, I tip a losing margin of 1-2 goals, probably a 2-1 loss. They are on the improve and we are simply stuffed without Rech and Qu. We just need to hang on for draws (in my view) until we get Romario and Qu working in tandem up front with Rech behind them. I think then we will be crushing opponents.
Who should be hanging his head in shame the most about this embarrassing home loss? Shengqing Qu. His stupid head-butt last week cost us, arguably, a draw in this game as I think his presence would have seen us score 2 and quite possibly snatch a 2-2 draw. Use your head more wisely in future.
Encouraging signs? Burns will grow in stature for his great run and goal. He should get more game time before Qu and Rech are back, for his own development. He'll struggle to get game-time during Romario's party-time visit later this year. I was impressed too with Owens, I think he will take over Aloisi's mantle in the centre of midfield. Ross is looking slower and less effective each game so we need Owens to step up for the future.
So my 11 for this Friday: Bajic; Goulding, Costanzo, Valkanis, Cornthwaite; Dodd, Aloisi, Owens, Spagnuolo; Burns, Veart.Subs: Beltrame; Kemp, Giraldi, Van Dommele
Poor Carl Veart, keeps getting asked to play up forward when the going gets tough. Spagnuolo in my view is getting better and deserves a run before Petta after the latter's poor showing on Monday. Costanzo unfortunately is required back in defence as he knows what he is doing and always looks solid there. I'd be inclined to sub in Giraldi just after half time, and have Kemp and Van Dommele there as fresh legs for a wide defence or wing option about the 65 minute mark. eg if Dodd is having another shocker...
Tuesday, October 03, 2006
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment