Monday, October 23, 2006

Adelaide United 4 - New Zealand 2

Despite other reports that this was a scrappy match, I found this game thoroughly enjoyable as (1) there were 6 goals; (2) despite the 2-goal final scoreline in Adelaide’s favour, at one stage at about 60 minutes the game threatened to become a draw, hence raising the atmosphere; (3) we won!

For me the best 3 were Greg Owens (who was substituted, I think, for a rest and not due to poor form); Bobby Petta and Carl Veart (who switched to a forward midfield role when Bruce Djite “djootay” came on ). Owens was industrious and created forward opportunities, for me he is our Steven Gerrard. Aloisi is a good foil as the Michael Essien “enforcer” type. Petta looked fit and was very industrious, thrilling the crowd with his manoeuvres to get around opponents. Veart set up good forward movements and I appreciate the way he runs and chases when others don’t bother.

Spagnuolo just misses out on a vote and was substituted, I think, because he was tiring. His runs forward were quick and passes-in first-class this time.

I was anxious to see Djite in action, being the only player (I think) I have not seen play on the field. I wasn’t thrilled with what he achieved but I won’t judge yet, I didn’t see enough. He was unlucky not to thread a goal in for himself and I think he deserves more of a run, perhaps as a late substitute for Burns in games we are winning. Where do you fit Qu and Romario though? Hence I think now is the time to give Djite more game time.

Qu was clearly rested to keep him fresh.

I was concerned about our sloppy defence, a contrast to last week’s solid effort. I think they were caught on their heels when we were leading 2-0 at half time and 3-0 early in the second half. No chocolate frogs for them for letting 2 goals in – though I think New Zealand deserved at least one.

Newcastle Jets loom on the horizon after doing the classic "sack-your-coach-and-start-winning" effort - 2 wins on the trot but still 7th on the 8-team ladder. They knocked off Queensland Roar to enable us to take the Roar's second spot. This is a danger game for us over in the east. I think a win there is crucial to keep any hope of nabbing top spot.

On the whole, bravo Adelaide for "winning ugly" (as Malcolm Blight used to call it as a desirable aspect of a top team) and snaring 2nd spot (for now).

No comments: