Saturday, October 07, 2006

Adelaide United 3 - Central Coast Mariners 1

I was not optimistic going into this game, predicting a one-goal loss. I was relieved to see Travis Dodd out, as his form last game was not great.

As the first half panned out, I thought we were fortunate not to be 1-0 down. I thought some of our players were ineffective and didn't seem to want to get the ball, let alone a goal. However, a different side ran out in the second half. The lacklustre Spagnuolo was substituted for a more-than-welcome return to action of Richie Alagich, whilst Van Dommele came in (as predicted) also. With Kemp showing promise all night we had more zip, and I have to say Nathan Burns is starting to flourish with the extra responsibility - despite his age and small stature.

For me Bobby Petta did not look like he wanted to work too hard either - until United had its tail in the air. Our goal to go 2-1 up opened up the game and lifted the pressure valve as we chased and pressured, counter-attacking as Central Coast looked for the equaliser. On the first half alone I would have said a final 3-1 result was not fair to the Mariners. However, on the whole game we dominated the second half and deserved the score-line, if not 4-1 with all the chances we had but spurned / were denied by the keeper.

I liked Matthew Kemp's game, Nathan Burns and Greg Owens were also effective. I think our defence looked uncertain as they realised they had one less man (a back 3 instead of back 4). We almost comically gave away a goal a couple times, mucking around passing at the back. In fairness, nobody - in the first half - was moving for our players. We seemed to kick from defence longer into attack and let Burns and Petta run onto balls, which whilst supposedly a more English and supposedly less attractive style - it got us goals last night.

My best 3 were: Owens, Kemp and Burns.

Costanzo and Bajic lowered their colours after steady weeks in defence, and I continue to be baffled by Aloisi's lack of form. Sure, he is in there being a thug doing the tough stuff, but I have yet to see something special from his boot. I was sure glad to see Alagich back and, with Qu and Dodd returning next game for the crucial grudge match in Melbourne, I am far more optimistic. A draw against Melbourne would be a good result, and with a game against returning-to-the-form-guide (losing) New Zealand, we should build well for the return of Fernando and arrival of Romario. I can't wait.

No comments: