My head was right in over-riding the heart on the question of who would prevail in this contest. And then some. I think 1-0 was the fair result, not 2-0 as was the actual result. The goal by "Fred" added insult to injury and was a bit too much. Thankfully we are not in a goal-difference scenario with Croatia and hence we could have lost 6-0 (like Serbia & Montenegro lost to Argentina) if we liked, it would not have mattered. Goal difference matters with Japan but they have to flog Brazil - this will not happen.
Reflecting on the game, I think Hiddink got it right with the selections. Though I stand by my view that Viduka needed a strike partner, to have done so probably would have left us too thin defensively and resulted possibly in an uglier scoreline. I was glad to see Sterjovski get a start and I believe he should be part of every starting 11, not Wilkshire. Emerton shone and got back into my good books with his versatility and pace.
It was clear that Guus was protecting yellow-carded players with Cahill then Moore coming off. I'll say more on that in previewing the Croatia match.
Lucas Neill was a standout and he was as valuable to us as Ze Roberto's 2 sliding-tackle saves in the penalty box were to Brazil. I understand Ze Roberto was made man of the match. Rightly so, if only for those 2 tackles. Had he muffed either of them, either by missing (and letting the man take on the keeper 1-on-1) or by conceding a penalty (and perhaps a red card), the result could indeed have been an Australian win. Getting back to Neill, his stature and composure in the centre of defence was most admirable. Surely his credentials as a world-leading centre-back have been established after, for his career thus far, he has spent more time on the right-back position (I think).
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)
No comments:
Post a Comment