Friday, June 23, 2006

Croatia 2 Australia 2

OK, I will admit that I really don't know as much about football as I might have otherwise suggested in this blog. I predicted 2-0, and that lacked respect for Croatia. The starting line-up, the tactics - I had it all wrong.

I had one thing dead right: heartstoppers. That's the best word for Australia's way of grinding out results.

So it is now safe to talk about the Italy game. Already within an hour of the result, the ABC website has posted a poll as to whether we can beat Italy. The 63% of the first 285 euphoric respondents say yes. We must get over the euphoria and ask some probing questions of the 'Roos.

First, we can give up talking about yellow cards - we have lost Emerton, one of our most versatile and reliable performers.

Second, we have won or drawn our games coming from behind. Its not good enough, but who is that an indictment upon? The defence, the midfield or the attack? I say, the attack - and that is a big worry coming up against the Azzuri (Italy) who, I believe, play very good defensive football. We simply must put Aloisi or Kennedy up front with Viduka to have a chance of scoring.

You can not question our team spirit though and that can only serve us well against Italy. Frankly, if we can beat them there is no reason why we can not progress at least to the semi-finals and meet perhaps France or Spain.

Bravo Australia!

No comments: