Thursday, June 22, 2006

Croatia result and other predictions

I realised recently that I had not predicted a result. My predictions thus far have been:
  1. Australia 3 Japan 1: correct
  2. Brazil 1 Australia 0: wrong by 1 goal: Brazil 2 Australia 0

I believe we will win 2-0. That is head and heart combined, just like the Japan prediction. I can envisage Viduka getting 1 of the 2 goals.

To other predictions, I see the semi-finalists as being Germany, England, Argentina and .... the fourth is tricky. I think the Netherlands, just pipping Brazil or Spain.

The eventual winner: Germany. Boy they looked good in the group stages, winning 3 out of 3. I think it will be a Germany-Argentina final.

Long before the tournament - after the draw was announced - I thought Australia would get to the quarter-finals (seemed very bold at the time!). I could see us sneaking through second to Brazil from the group, then up against either the erratic Italians, USA or unpredictable Ghana - or the Czechs. I would rather Australia v. Italy as there would be strong emotive issues there (eg Bresciano, Grella, the large Italo-Australian community) and Italy can be very erratic in World Cups. The Czechs would be a big worry, so hopefully Italy and not they top the group.

By my maths after the group of 16 we might face France or Spain, which could be very tricky. Nonetheless, we are fortunate to have Netherlands, England, Germany and Argentina all on the other side of the draw.

Let's beat / draw with Croatia first, then I'll think about our chances in the group of 16.

No comments: