Monday, June 26, 2006

Next: Italy

Will this be my last post of predictions for results? Will we make it to the quarter-finals? It is possible ... but improbable. Will we claim our greatest scalp yet? My prediction: No.

The reason is that as unpredictable as Italy can be at big tournaments, they are C-L-A-S-S. From the defence to the midfield and forwards, there is quality that plays at the highest level regularly. With all due respect to our lads, they are proving they are a champion team but not a team of champions. We are grinding out results through sheer guts and determination, not moments of pure class. I saw this morning the David Beckham goal against Ecuador - that is class. The winner for Argentina against Mexico: pure class. I see this game going the same as Argentina v. Mexico - down to the wire, but we go out due to one moment of class from an Italian player.

Of course ... if we prove the adage right, that a champion team can beat a team of champions; if we can finally land a long-range shot at goal, get a deserved penalty, get a decent referee.... it could happen.

I won't bother predicting the formation, I'll just cry out again: We need Thompson or Aloisi alongside Viduka, or Kewell sitting right up there alongside him, not running through from 10 metres away. Viduka lays off to Kewell who is right there alongside him, past one defender and the keeper - GOAL! That's the way I see us getting up.

Prediction: Head: 2-0 Italy; Heart: 2-1 Italy in another heart-stopper. Heart to win.

No comments: